If you want to increase your number of views on YouTube, follow the example of the most popular videos in your niche. Start by watching the most popular video of your main competitor. To do this, go to its video library and use the “Most popular” filter.
The main goal of youtube views is to keep viewers on the platform for as long as possible to show them as many ads as possible. Therefore, the algorithm must capture the attention of viewers by offering them all more incredible videos than the others.
- Of course, the “incredible” is subjective. “Relevant” or “interesting” would be more appropriate terms. Science Insider YouTube video called “The Surprising Origins of a Color Darker than Vanta Black”. In the up next column to the left is a video called “Why are popcorn ceilings so terrible?”
- For example, this popular science video on the ultra-dark matter has just over 2.4 million views. The video proposed by YouTube in the “Up next” section comes from the same channel, but it relates to the decoration of the 80s, and the next video is an advertisement. This is how the algorithm becomes interesting.
How does YouTube determine that a person interested, for example, in the purest expressions of the color of despair, could be interested in “frightfully mysterious” lakes or in dizzying ocean depths?
YouTube said its algorithm recommends:
- Videos from the same channel
- Popular videos based on interactions, viewing time and number of views
- Videos that the user might like, based on their viewing history
- Videos with similar metadata (titles, tags and descriptions).
- The only point you have control over is the fourth.
But before you copy the metadata from a more popular video and paste it onto a video that you’ve traced like some YouTube gurus we won’t name may have recommended, take a moment and think about your audience. Your viewers will not want to watch the same video a second time. Perhaps the first video raises a new question that you can answer or contains an interesting idea to explore.
How can you get viewers to watch your video?
Do not miss the opportunity to attract the attention of Internet users. Unlike other video metadata such as titles and descriptions, keywords in YouTube videos are not visible. To see them, right-click on the web page and select “View page source”. Then search for the term “keywords” using a CTRL + F to find the list of keywords.
HTML code highlighting the word “keywords” and then “SciShow” “Science” “Hank”, etc. Another tip from the pro: when choosing keywords think like a librarian. Describe the subject of your video and its overall category and think of other words that a person could use when researching this subject. For example, the video on tongue twisters in point 2 could contain the following keywords:
- Subject: tongue twisters in Finnish
- Category: ASMR, foreign languages
- Synonyms: ASMR unintelligible, difficult languages, ASMR soothing, ASMR Finnish, ASMR Suomi
Increase your number of views with personalized thumbnails
When you’re potential viewers are in the discovery phase overview of their research results and recommendations, the thumbnails play a major role in their choice of video. Unfortunately, there are many tips that horrify graphic designers: aggressive fonts, information overload. Even self-proclaimed experts tend to be a bit too noisy.